The smell of new books, hundreds of letters that seem to hold years of knowledge printed and crammed into words on crisp pages. I’m scanning in-between the words and trying my best to comprehend what the author is trying to say.
Honestly speaking, reading was never a routine or habit part of my life until the end of 2017. It seemed like a boring thing to do and all my life growing up the only time I did read was when it was for purposes such as exams or tests. Having a keen interest in investing and finance, I wanted additional resources and a simple way to understand the jargon and complexity used by finance buffs.
Over time, I started to understand that reading was more than just an action, it is more than merely flipping though pages in a rush to “complete” a book as a chore. I’ve learnt that reading offers a great way to hijack the learning curve of one by tapping onto the knowledge of the author on a particular topic e.g: Investing, Self-Help, Imagination of a Fiction or Fantasy author etc. A well written book is essentially a tome of enlightenment which the author might have spent years or often his entire life dedicating his work or experience to.
I’ve learnt that books often present me with fresh ideas and concepts which generally gives me a broader sense or idea. In a way, books can serve as a portable mentors for it’s readers seeking to learn something new or to understand something from a different perspective.
Just like the motto of this site, never stop learning!
What about you? How long have you been reading and if so, what genres or books would you recommend to readers like me and everyone else alike?
Some of my personal picks I’ve enjoyed reading in no particular order or genre as follows:
- The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing. A Book of Practical Counsel (Revised Edition) (Collins Business Essentials)
- A Random Walk down Wall Street: The Time-tested Strategy for Successful Investing
- Factfulness: Ten Reasons We’re Wrong About the World–and Why Things Are Better Than You Think
- EQ Applied: The Real-World Guide to Emotional Intelligence
- Man’s Search for Meaning
- The Magic of Thinking Big
- How to Win Friends & Influence People
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Revised Edition
- The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future
- Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World
Enjoy the list!